Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Free Crochet Pattern - Seeing Stars Applique

Free Crochet Pattern - Seeing Stars

 I've been seeing stars lately. Halos of Hope is once again working with Valerie Fund's Camp Happy Times to provide themed hats for a get-away camp for children who are survivors of cancer. This year's theme is "Stars". So I've had stars on the brain trying to come up with some unique designs to fit this theme. Sometimes though, the best solution is the most obvious-how about a star appliqued on a basic hat? This solution came real obvious to me this AM. I was organizing what is left of my Cotton Tots yarn for my Stash Bust Challenge 2013, and out popped this cute little star I worked up a couple of years ago. I had forgotten all about it. So I've spent the afternoon re-creating the star and a making it a little better. I hope you like this cutie. I have some dark purple Lion Brand CottonEase in my stash. I plan to make a hat, probably use my Candy Corn Pattern without the earflaps and all in one color, and sew a bunch of these stars on it for a wizard-like look. I'll post a photo when it's complete. If you are on Ravelry, please link up anything you use the stars on.

Please note, this pattern is copyrighted and may not be reproduced or redistributed. 

Feel free to make as many stars as you like for personal use or for charity.  I ask that my free patterns not be used for profit as they are designed with charity in mind.  There are plenty of for sale patterns available from independent designers (myself included) who give permission to sell items completed from their patterns.

Want more FREE Crochet by Darleen Hopkins patterns?  Sign up for RSS feed or instant email updates and be the first to know when new pattern is published.  On Facebook?  LIKE for even more information and general crochet fun.  Join the Crochet by Darleen Hopkins Newsletter http://crochetbydarleenhopkins.com/newsletter/.


Yarn: Approximately 4-5 yards of any yarn.  I used Lion Brand CottonEase (worsted) in Maize

Hook: Appropriate size for yarn.  I used an H/5.0mm

Notes:  Uses standard US stitches.  Star is worked in the round.  Each tip is made while crocheting the 2nd round.  If necessary, block to keep tips from curling.  When attaching the star, tack the middle and each tip to help keep flat.
  • ch – chain
  • sl st – slip stitch
  • sc - single crochet
  • hdc - half double crochet
  • dc – double crochet
  • tr – treble crochet
Round 1) With magic circle/adjustable ring (see photo tutorial) method work 10 sc in loop, tighten and join with sl st.

Round 2) * Ch 5 and working in the back bump only (see below) sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc, dc, tr, skip next sc, sl st; repeat from * 4 more times ending with a sl st join to the 1st in the round.  Break off yarn leaving a long tail to attach star to item.

Working in the back bump

If you flip a chain over, you’ll see a bump on the reverse side.  If you work your stitches into it, you’ll end up with a nice edge on both sides of the star point. See this page for a video on this method.
backbumps (2)bottommatchestop (2)

No comments :

Post a Comment